San Diego State announced its 2013 Mountain West Conference football opponents on Tuesday, but has yet to finalize the dates.
Even with additional schools and the switch to two six-team divisions (Mountain Division and West Division), the Mountain West will maintain an eight-game conference schedule.
As a part of this schedule, each school will play the other five schools in its division on a yearly basis. Additionally, each school will play a rotation of three opponents from the other division to complete an eight-game conference schedule.
Here are SDSU’s 2013 conference opponents, along with the location of each game (home games in italics):
at Air Force
at San Jose State
With the conference game dates yet to be finalized, here is SDSU’s current 2013 schedule (home games in italics):
08/31/13 – Eastern Illinois
09/07/13 – at Ohio State
09/14/13 – Open
09/21/13 – Oregon State
09/28/13 – at New Mexico State
TBA – Boise State*
TBA – Fresno State*
TBA – Nevada*
TBA – New Mexico*
TBA – at Air Force*
TBA – at Hawai’i*
TBA – at San Jose State*
TBA – at UNLV*
*Mountain West opponent, dates yet to be announced
- The schedules were computer-generated, and each school will play every Mountain West opponent at home and on the road during a four-year cycle.
- The Mountain West announced each school’s conference opponents through 2016. You can see those match-ups here.
- San Diego State will not play Colorado State, Utah State or Wyoming (members of the Mountain Division) in the 2013 regular season.
- The winner of the Mountain Division will play the winner of the West Division in the inaugural Mountain West Football Championship on Dec. 7, 2013. This game will be played at the home stadium of the school with the highest BCS ranking.
- After playing just five regular season away games in each of the past two seasons, San Diego State will play six regular season away games in 2013.
- Because of the “Hawaii Exemption Rule”, San Diego State will have the option of seeking out an additional out-of-conference opponent to give them 13 regular season games. This is unlikely, however, as the Aztecs would potentially play up to 15 games with a conference championship game set to be played in 2013 and a probable postseason bowl game.
- San Diego State will host Fresno State in 2013 with hopes to regain possession of “The Old Oil Can”, a trophy that was established in 2011 to create a rivalry between the two schools. Although this rivalry was initially thought to be dead with the Aztecs leaving for the Big East, it will now be renewed. The two schools, both members of the West Dvision, will now play each other on a yearly basis.
Aztec fans, stay tuned for future posts including spring practice story lines, practice updates, a Pro Day recap, a post-spring depth chart prediction and more.
In the mean time, be sure to check out the 2013 Season Previews to see the pre-spring position-by-position previews for next season.
Also, be sure to take a look at the 2013 Signing Day Recap to see the incoming athletes of San Diego State’s 2013 recruiting class.
Hunter Hewitt: WordPress – http://hunterhewitt.wordpress.com
Hunter Hewitt: Blogger – http://hunterhewitt.blogspot.com
Hunter Hewitt: LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/in/hunterhewitt
Hunter Hewitt: Twitter – http://twitter.com/hunterhewitt89
Hunter Hewitt: Facebook – http://facebook.com/hunterhewittSDSU
Hunter Hewitt: About.me – http://about.me/hunterhewitt
Hunter Hewitt: BrandYourself – http://hunterhewitt.brandyourself.com/
Hunter Hewitt: GoAztecs.com Player Profile – http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hewitt_hunter00.html
Hunter Hewitt: SDSU News Team Story: http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/sdsu_newscenter/news.aspx?s=73846
Hunter Hewitt: FanBase: http://www.fanbase.com/Hunter-Hewitt
by Hunter Hewitt