For many recent college graduates looking for employment, their first job interview can be nerve-racking and worrisome, causing intense amounts of perspiration.
This week, a select group of individuals will participate in a unique job interview, one that will cause them to sweat profusely just like most other college graduates. The reasoning for their perspiration is different, however, because these former collegiate athletes will be on a football field in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, working out in a series of drills in front of dozens of NFL scouts at the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine.
Wednesday marks the start of the scouting combine, and two Aztecs will participate in this prestigious event. Tight end Gavin Escobar and cornerback Leon McFadden will be amongst the group of over 300 NFL prospects, all vying for the opportunity to showcase their abilities.
Scouts often use the combine as a primary tool to gauge the talent of the prospects. Each player will use this week as a chance to boost their draft stock just two months before the draft.
Although the official start of the combine is Wednesday, the first two days consist of administrative ordeals, medical tests, measurements and interviews. The workouts, broken up by position groups, begin on Friday and run until Tuesday, Feb. 26.
Here is the schedule, along with additional notes, for Escobar and McFadden:
- Wednesday, Feb. 20 – Arrival. Medical pre-exam and x-rays, orientation, interviews.
- Thursday, Feb. 21 – Measurements, medical exam, media, interviews
- Friday, Feb. 22 – Psychological testings, bench press, interviews
- Saturday, Feb. 23 – On-field workouts
- There are 19 tight ends participating in the combine
- Escobar is one of three tight ends from non-BCS conferences
- Escobar has spent the last several weeks training at IMG Academy along with top prospects like Manti Te’o, Matt Barkley and others
- Escobar’s stock has been rising as of late, and impressive combine numbers will help him even more. Keep an eye on him this week to see how he fares.
- Saturday, Feb. 23 – Arrival. Medical pre-exam and x-rays, orientation, interviews
- Sunday, Feb. 24 – Measurements, medical exam, media, interviews
- Monday, Feb. 25 – Psychological testing, bench press, interviews
- Tuesday, Feb. 26 – On-field workouts
- There are 30 cornerbacks participating in the combine
- McFadden is one of seven cornerbacks from non-BCS conferences
- Many have said that McFadden’s 40-yard dash at the combine will be critical for his draft stock. Keep an eye on him next Tuesday to see how he fares in the workout. According to a recent story on ESPN.com, the average 40-yard dash time for cornerbacks in the last five years is 4.55. If McFadden betters the average, he will likely put himself in position to be drafted in the third or fourth round.
*All of the action from the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine is televised on NFL Network throughout the week. If you do not have access to NFL Network or you are unable to watch, be sure to check out the AztecsForLife Facebook page and Hunter Hewitt’s Twitter for live updates with videos and statistics. Also, stay tuned for a new post next week with a recap of the Aztecs in the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine.
Have you seen the 2013 Season Previews yet? If not, check out the pre-spring position-by-position previews for next season.
Also, be sure to take a look at the 2013 Signing Day Recap to see the incoming athletes of San Diego State’s 2013 recruiting class.
Hunter Hewitt: WordPress – http://hunterhewitt.wordpress.com
Hunter Hewitt: Blogger – http://hunterhewitt.blogspot.com
Hunter Hewitt: LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/in/hunterhewitt
Hunter Hewitt: Twitter – http://twitter.com/hunterhewitt89
Hunter Hewitt: Facebook – http://facebook.com/hunterhewittSDSU
Hunter Hewitt: Tumblr – http://hunterhewitt.tumblr.com
Hunter Hewitt: About.me – http://about.me/hunterhewitt
Hunter Hewitt: BrandYourself – http://hunterhewitt.brandyourself.com/
Hunter Hewitt: GoAztecs.com Player Profile – http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hewitt_hunter00.html
Hunter Hewitt: SDSU News Team Story: http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/sdsu_newscenter/news.aspx?s=73846
Hunter Hewitt: FanBase: http://www.fanbase.com/Hunter-Hewitt
by Hunter Hewitt
One thought on “Aztecs in the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine: Preview”
Pingback: Aztecs in the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine: Leon McFadden – Aztecs For Life: SDSU Football Blog